The Controller reports to the Managing Partner and is responsible for the recording and maintenance of all internal and external financial management for AAE and affiliated businesses. The individual must be adept at handling all accounts payable and receivable activities, reconciliations, payroll functions, G/L entries and postings, GST/HST/PST report preparation and remittance, and preparation of regular reports and statements for the agency including management reports (budgets, forecasts, key performance indicators, other analysis to help illustrate performance and non-performance). Strong organizational skills and the ability to be pro-active and work independently is a must.
- Year-end financials and reporting
- Monitor and reconcile tax installments, remittances and refunds
- Bank and credit card reconciliation. Maintain systematic, accurate processing of all accounts payable, employee expense reports and credit card payments according to company terms and policies.
- Process weekly and monthly invoices, maintain general ledger accounts
- Handle all accounts receivable, collections and accounts payable, billing
- Maintain a detailed understanding of the legal entity relationships in all accounting systems.
- Develop relationships with other multi-disciplinary departments in carrying out this role.
- Assist with special cross functional projects as required (e.g. inventory process improvement initiatives, acquisition integrations, new business requirements, etc.).
- Support financial components of projects by integrating into the team to help: manage budgets, create forecasts, review analytics, propose or revise pricing, review actual against budgeted hourly contributions of resources etc.
- Assist with e-commerce projects and or related reporting
- Manage ordering of supplies and office requirements while taking responsibility for streamlining expenses
- Support the management of IT resources and the IT inventory / asset management
- Spearhead the paperless effort by developing a strategy for its implementation
- Interact with external accountants and advisor
- Help manage minutes for related companies and other shareholder documents
- Payroll, insurance, incentive programs, benefit plans (review annually, monitor and report on to management and key management sponsors)
- Assist in the recruitment of junior support admin or finance staff including coops
- Assist with identifying and supporting HR with government program or recruitment applications that require financial input
- Provide input to sales proposals, log and manage the opportunity pipeline with sales or marketing staff
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- 5+ years general accounting and/or bookkeeping experience (preferably in an advertising or marketing agency environment)
- Degree in accounting, finance or similar field
- Advanced proficiency in QuickBooks and MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). In fact, you have excellent excel skills including pivots and reporting and analysis tools.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with all departments and all levels of employees. Maintains confidentiality and handles all interactions with diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to communicate in both official languages ( English/French) is considered an asset
- Works with a sense of urgency – independently and with minimal supervision
- Detail oriented; inherent ability to take initiative
This is a full time and attention role that can be based in either St. Jacob’s or downtown Toronto.
Applications for these roles should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you to all applicants for your consideration, candidates that are selected will be contacted for an interview.